So I’ve cobbled together this missive from an assortment of sources, aka a handful of favorite young(er) acts, and am sharing their works today because, quite frankly, after a long day at the office such things improve my mood.
1) Lucy Rose – “All That Fear.” Believe it or not, this tasty treat – released just last week – was an outtake from Lucy’s stellar 2017 release, Something’s Changing.
2) Courtney Marie Andrews – “Kindness of Strangers.” And so CMA rolls along with another track from her forthcoming album, May Your Kindness Remain. (Here’s hoping they make a mistake and ship my bundle next week, not next month. It’s going to be beyond great.)
3) Phoebe Bridgers – “Funeral.” I was unfamiliar with Phoebe until this evening, when Mary Lou Lord shared this clip (which also features Conor Oberst). Which now has me kicking myself for not knowing about her before.
4) Bedouine – “One of These Days.” Bedouine, who’s real name is Azniv Korkejian, was born in Aleppo, Syria, and spent of her childhood – like me – in a gated American community in Saudi Arabia. Fascinating woman. And a fascinating artist.
5) First Aid Kit – “Fireworks.” How could one of my Top 5s of new music not include something from the new First Aid Kit album? Here they are performing this stellar Ruins track on BBC Radio 6.